November 28, 2011

My First Day At School


I have been reading in S.D. Secondary School for four years. I still remember my first day at this school. On that fortunate day, I got freedom from the control of my tutor who loaded me with heavy home-task. You can think of my joy when I was told that I would be sent to a new school.

I got up early in the morning of 8th April to get myself prepared. With my tutor I started towards my new school. On the way it began to rain. When we reached the school we were completely wet.

The sight of the grand building made me nervous. I felt somewhat uneasy. I entered the office where I found four people sitting behind the counter. My tutor got a form from one of them He filled it. Then w entered the Head Master’s office. My tutor gave the form to him. He looked at it carefully. He struck a bell. At once a peon rushed in. He ordered him to take us to the staff room.

The peon led us to the room where I found the teachers seated round a long table. He gave the form to one of them. The teacher put my knowledge to test in English. He found me up to the mark. Then another teacher gave me five sums to solve. I solved them with great ease. Both the teachers wrote something on the form. Again my tutor entered the office to deposit my dues. I was sent to classroom with a chit.

I reached the classroom and took my seat in the last row. In front of me there was a big blackboard on the wail. Near it there were decent chair and a table for the teacher. After a few minutes a teacher entered the class. I gave the chit to him. He wrote my name in the register. To my good luck, the teacher was an interesting fellow. He passed a few funny remarks. He also made some interesting and harmless jokes.
As the recess bell rang, we rushed out of the class. It was the recess period. The playground became the centre of activity. Finding me along some boys approached me. They cut jokes. One of them asked me “From which jungle are you coming?” I was silent. Fortunately three boys ran for my help. They took me round the school building. With them I saw the reading room and library. We also reached the hail. I found it decorated with pictures and paintings. In the meanwhile the bell rang and we were again in the classroom. One by one other teacher came but none taught us.

At 12.30 the last bell went. The classes were dispersed. When I reached home, my head was full of new ideas. I told my mother how great our school was. She was very glad to hear the account of my first day.